Friday, August 3, 2012

How to fix a broken nail

Doesn't it suck when you are trying to grow out your nails, then one nail breaks?

Well, today I am going to show you how to fix a broken nail so you will never have to clip all that awesome length off.  The pictures today are of my toes, because I didn't have a broken fingernail, but I stubbed my toe a while ago and broke that nail. 

Supplies:
1 teabag
scissors
nail glue 
nail file


Look at my poor broken toe after being stubbed on something months ago. my toenails are orange because i just took off neon orange polish. I don't have fungus!!

1.  Take broken edge of nail and place small amount of nail glue on crack to hold it level with the rest of your nail.  You can use tweezers to make sure the edges lined up while waiting for the glue to dry, or just hold it in place yourself. 



2.  Take your teabag and empty it out.  Cut section of teabag to fit size of nail.  it doesn't have to be exact, just close. Do not cut it too large. If the teabag patch hangs over the nail or touches the skin, it will lift off your nail. 




















3.  Apply small amount of glue to nail and use tweezers to press teabag patch onto nail. Make sure that it completely covers the crack in your nail.  Do not allow any air bubbles underneath the patch, as these will make it lift off, and also make you more prone to getting a fungal infection under there.  Also, do not hold it on too long or your will glue your fingers and/or tweezers to your nail as well.  

This is my nail after the patch is applied. It turns clear when the nail glue comes into contact with it, but the surface is a little rough still.

4.  Apply a small amount of nail glue over patch again.

5. File lightly with nail file to even out surface. The smaller the grit of the file, the smoother the nail will be. I used my trusty crystal file.  


6.  Paint your nails with some pretty polish!  It should look nice and smooth, just like your natural nail but a little sturdier.  This should last about 2 weeks, but can last even longer if you apply it correctly. The key to making it last it to be gentile and apply it correctly.  This will allow your new nail to grow out until the crack is ready to be cut off. 


Do you have any other tricks for fixing cracked nails? What are they? 


Update:  This is my nail 2 weeks later. The nail has grown enough to cut off the broken part, and my nail fix has fallen off while taking off my regular polish with some remover.












No comments: